Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Community Service and Classes

Monday morning I met with the woman from my community service, Acción Ecológica, and talked about my project. Since our community service ends on November 30th, I am only going to have time to research the green economy. So far I have done a lot of research on Rio + 20, why agriculture is key to the success of a green economy, and the different agricultural policies that are being pushed for the UNCSD conference and just need to compile my results in a report. Although I have liked my community service and I have learned a lot, I still feel like I haven't really contributed that much to the organization or the community. Regardless, it's been a cool experience.

The outside of Acción Ecológica

Inside the building (the brooms are a joke about alternative energy)

My classes are also going well. Although I don't like our required course (The Construction of Pluricultural Nation-States in Andean America: Debates and Emergent Experiences, which I still have no idea what it means), I really like my other three classes. My Impresos class works with Photoshop and Illustrator and not only is it really easy, but it is extremely helpful and I hope to apply the things I've learned next semester at The Chronicle office. The other class that I take at Salesiana is Castellano, or Spanish grammar. Finally, I am taking a class at FLACSO, a graduate school, and my Agroecología class is turning out to be really interesting, although a little bit difficult to pay attention to considering each class lasts three hours. In general, my classes are a piece of cake compared to Duke. Four hours of homework per week compared to four hours of homework per night at Duke? I'll take the study abroad way any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment