Search This Blog

Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving, meet Ecuador. Ecuador, meet Thanksgiving

As Thanksgiving week rolled around and we passed the three month mark in Ecuador, I started feeling the first pangs of homesickness. Four of my friends had their parents and families come to Ecuador to visit them and although it was great to meet them, it made me miss my family.

In order to try and dispel some of the homesickness, both Kaitlyn's parents and Katy's family took us out to Crepes and Waffles on Monday night. Full of crepes and satiated with love from the adopted families, I was ready to start cookin' for T-gives.

The day of Thanksgiving I woke up early in order to walk to the market to buy sweet potatoes. If you were wondering, the 45 minute walk was WELL worth it to obtain my favorite food (Mom, if you're reading this, I want sweet potatoes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner the day I get home). At the bright hour of 9:30am, Noah and Hannah arrived at my house to commence the cooking. We spent all day (literally) cooking my sweet potato casserole and broccoli casserole, Noah's scratch made pumpkin pies, and Hannah's challah (a type of Jewish bread served on the Sabbath).
Hannah and Noah and our domination of the kitchen.

After five hours of cooking, we arrived at the house of Guapulo where the Thanksgiving festivities were going to take place. There were over 60 people in attendance, comprised of students and their host families. With three turkeys, stuffing, salads, and TONS of different sides and desserts, all of the gringos felt very thankful for being surrounding by so many loving families and having the ability to have such a wonderful experiences abroad.
Almost everyone listening to the pre-meal speech
Noah, me, and my host mom and our table!
The post-apocalyptic dishes table

No comments:

Post a Comment